Saturday, January 23, 2010

Ice Skating Adventures

Well, we have never taken the boys ice skating and I don't remember the last time I attempted to skate (if ever), but it started with a birthday party at the Aerodrome that the boys were invited to. I am always proud that the boys have the confidence to try new things and like to encourage independence, so I basically threw them out on the ice and wished them luck as I watched (and laughed!) from the side. Turns out they were completely capable of figuring it out themselves and Ryan was like a little race car on the ice. They did not care how freezing and wet they were or how tired they became. Ryan was having more fun than I've ever seen him have and he just kept saying "I LOVE THIS MOMMY! I LOVE ICE SKATING!".
He was the littlest guy out there and just kept at it!

Thank goodness for these walkers- they made it all possible (and yes-they have grown up ones!)

Here is just one example of what life with the Fisher boys is like. After about an hour, I noticed Ryan especially beginning to fall more. There were a lot of bigger kids and teenagers that worked there that would help them up if they fell. I thought it was just because they were getting so tired, so I got them off to go home. As we were changing shoes, Shane says, "Mom, how come when Ryan fell, all the cute girls came to help him up and when I fell, the boys would always come help me up?" At that time, Ryan gave me his famous grin with that twinkle in his eye and I realized that he was falling on purpose the whole time to get the cute girls help! I saw him smiling at them, but he is always a flirt- perfect example of his little personality! So, in the car I asked what his favorite part was and he said, "Falling down so all the girls would come rescue me!"
Oh my....watch out ladies!

A few weeks later, we were off for MLK day, so John and I took the kids back and this time I skated with them to supervise their interactions with all the "cute girls" and to see if the reason my mom gave me that Dorothy Hamil haircut growing up was because I was born a natural ice skater. Turns out the haircut was just a trend and not a representation of my ice skating ability!

Shelby admired us from the side with Daddy...she did have a cute ice skating Minnie outfit on in the spirit of the day! She also had the had her Granny made her to keep her warm.

I managed to do pretty good and the boys had a blast again. NO- I did not get a walker of my own, although it would have helped with the boys hanging on me as though I had the balance thing down.



A lot of Keith kids were there (of course!), so as soon as Shane saw his friends from school, he dumped the walker and skated all along the wall.

Look- no hands for either of us!

With those "long and thin" legs, maybe Shelby will be a graceful figure skater... (LOL!) What do you think Shelby??

No comments: